Friday, October 7, 2011

Live Simply......and Damn all appearances

I was at a Alumni part recently and my fellow students of long ago wowed me with their effortless displays of ostentation's by waving around their latest Blackberry's and i-phones and talking about how cool it was to drive their new Honda SUV's or Toyota Corolla/Camry's .....I was literally holding back my tummy with suppressed laughter when I remembered a recent post I had read off the internet that said that men who feel inadequate in the "size/performance" that matters overcompensate with the size of their other worldly assets...

Be that as it may, most of them were surprised that I had only a entry level mobile with me and my trusty old (8-year old) Santro car....I pared off questions about my financial dealings and my earnings despite all the pointed questions asked of me- because I felt then and still feel that it was not the right occasion to discuss my financial solvency and I was merely there to meet and greet old friends and have a good time with them. Well we spent the rest of the evening in high spirits and had much fun.

The point of this blog post is not to discuss whether my friends pride in their newest toys was justified. It was their money- they had worked hard, earned it and it was theirs to spend whichever way they wanted to. Fine. But were they also justified in expecting to apply their same standards to everyone?

My friends since their days at college had set up their own practices, and then branch offices, and rushed from one clinic to another every few hours all day. Some of them had their own labs/x-ray shops and even pharmacies. They were making money hand over fist from daybreak to midnight.....while I on the other hand have restricted my practice but explored more options in my life- I have had a good life (touch wood) explored all my other interests like a career in media, my passions like dance and basically have no issues with life. So what if I don't have the latest model mobile phone- my life is richer and more satisfying and I probably wont have an heart attack at 40.....(or wonder whether the kid who looks so different is really mine and when did that happen?)

And I have a mobile phone that makes calls, sends messages, even access the internet when i want to very urgently.....and I have a car which takes me from point to point when i want to....and I have so much peace in life....so who is the person with the better life? I leave it to you to judge....

Its not that I am lazy, or don't know the value of money.... I do- and its what I am precisely talking about here. The best thing my dad did after I finished college was to put me on my own two feet and ask me to take care of myself. he declined to be my angel investor or to put up the seed money........I had to find my own capital- it involved the customary- sweat, blood and tears and so unlike my other friends - I have really enjoyed the money I have made with the sweat of my brow.....and hence my hesitation on spending- when it comes to things I find non-essential....because, I have known people who- the moment that they earn more money, they think that it is only natural that they spend more, putting them back to square one. And that goes double for people, who's dads are already with well established practices...the so called 2nd generation- somehow, when you do not have to build everything from scratch, you do not really value money.

And finally when some of the guys ask me, 'What is the point in making so much money if you don't enjoy it?' The thing is that I don't really find happiness in buying latest gadgets, jewellery or in showing off to others. Even if buying something makes me happy it is only for a while, it does not last. Only if something attracts me by its very beauty or esthetic appeal- i go against my better sense and buy it. Thats love at first sight and can be excused, you know..

And I would go out on a limb and say that if you need material things to make you happy, then you live a pretty sad and unfulfilled life....well thats me....so what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely true dude. When one earns ones own money through real hardwork without any support whatsoever there is no way he will waste it on luxuries. Still some people may do it not as a desire for that luxury but to just prove a point that they too can afford it. It is a kind of response mechanism resulting from deprivation and feeling of inadequacy. Truly human psyche operates in the most mysterious of ways.

    ReplyDelete